Armed with a BA in Rhetoric and Professional Writing from the University of Waterloo, I've worked as a Technical Writer in the high tech field for more than 20 years, 10 of those purely freelance. I offer end-to-end project management, the patience to work with engineers and scientists to gather information, and the ability to learn a subject matter quickly. I make a concerted effort to truly learn the subject matter so that I can write about it as though I were a native user. That's where the 'technical' part comes into play — To debunk the common myth, I don't just pretty up pages.
In the early days of a project, I spend the majority of my time asking questions to determine who has the information I need and how to best gather that information. My goal is to develop a rapport with the people who hold that information and to minimize the amount of disruption to their daily tasks. Writing is actually the easiest part of my job – information gathering is always the toughest.
What can you expect from LRTW
- Initial design meeting/discussion to scope the entire project
- End-to-end project management, including weekly progress reports
- Honed ability to immerse myself in a new subject to learn about it very quickly
- Technical savvy, usability, and creative design to determine the most suitable solution
- Precise, effective content targeted for the specified users
- Well-structured and illustrated content offering both visual and accessible elements
- Print Audit, Calgary
- Arctic Wolf Networks, Waterloo
- Exinda, Waterloo
- Grind Hockey Training Centre, St. Jacobs
- RICOH, Tokyo, NJ, and Kitchener Offices
- University of Waterloo, Office of Research
- Woolwich Hockey Academy, Elmira